Mutual Funds/Funds with tax favored yields.

Can you name some funds withn tax favored yields?Thanks!

Dear Randy--

An unusually tax-efficient fund, of course, would be any municipal bond fund. Its yield would be shielded from most taxes.
But in general, tax-efficient funds are those that don't buy and sell much. Index funds fit into this category--they trade only as often as they index they follow.
Some other funds, when they do sell for a profit, may take losses deliberately to offset the gains.
Of course, buying stocks that don't provide much in the way of dividends is another way to avoid taxes.  
Another way I might mention: buying funds that have low expenses.
The Vanguard Group is a leader in tax-efficient funds, in part because it manages so many index funds, and in part because its expenses are so low.

Here's a list of tax-efficient funds from Lipper, published a few years ago:

I hope this helps.

Mutual Funds

Warren Boroson

Author of "Keys to Investing in Mutual Funds" (Barrons), "Ultimate Mutual Fund Guide" (Probus), "How to Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffett" (JKLasser), and "The Reverse Mortgage Advantage" (McGraw-Hill). Former financial columnist for Gannett News Service.

Author of 20 books; winner of 1996 Personal Finance award from Investment Company Institute and Washington University. Formerly on staffs of Money and Sylvia Porter's Magazine. Had a radio program (on WEVD) about mutual funds and a newsletter, FundDigest.