Mutual Funds/Investment Advice

Hi Warren,
When I was 22 (5 years ago) I asked you for advice to invest $15,000, now my savings have exceeded $100,000 via constant savings & investment in index noload mutual funds thanks to your help & advice. Now can you tell me any good advice on how to improve my investment returns, and where I can read more and learn about buying shares in individual companies like for example KO, & BRK.

Hi Jim--

Why screw around with success?
Why not continue your winning streak with no-load index funds?

Well, if you want more risk and possibly more reward, and want to buy individual stocks, SUBSCRIBE TO A NEWSLETTER. The Value Line Investment Survey is very good--you can read it in a library if it's too expensive. And Morningstar Stock Investor is worthwhile, too.

The best advice I've received about investing in stocks rather than funds is: Invest in stocks only if you know something about those stocks that other investors don't.

Check with me in another 5 years. I'd like to know how you made out.

Mutual Funds

Warren Boroson

Author of "Keys to Investing in Mutual Funds" (Barrons), "Ultimate Mutual Fund Guide" (Probus), "How to Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffett" (JKLasser), and "The Reverse Mortgage Advantage" (McGraw-Hill). Former financial columnist for Gannett News Service.

Author of 20 books; winner of 1996 Personal Finance award from Investment Company Institute and Washington University. Formerly on staffs of Money and Sylvia Porter's Magazine. Had a radio program (on WEVD) about mutual funds and a newsletter, FundDigest.