Mutual Funds/High Yield Fixed Income Mutual Funds

Question
Hello:

What would cause a high-yield-fixed-income mutual fund, that primarily invests in bonds, to increase or decrease in value?

I think rising interest rates, but I'm not sure what this indicates.

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
High yield (junk) bonds tend to lose value when the economy looks bad and tend to gain value when the economy looks good. Reason:When the economy improves, the companies issuing the bonds seem likely to get stronger. High-yield bonds thus  tend to act like stocks.
  They may also lose value because of unusually great demand for them--as when the economy is improving.
   Rising interest rates don't hurt them much, especially if the rise is fairly modest.
   Some investors argue that instead of investing in junk bonds, people should just invest in stocks.But there seems to be a place in most portfolios for some junk bonds.
   I hope this answers your question.

WB

Mutual Funds

Warren Boroson