Myanmar (Burma)/travel in Myanmar

Question
Hi Nancy,
My husband and I are traveling to Myanmar in November on an 8 day bike trip, starting in Bagan (Mt Popa), Heho, Inle Lake.  We have 2 days in Yangoon before the tour and are thinking of taking about 4 days after the trip which ends up at Heho airport.  What would you recommend for the 4 or 5 days at the end.  Our interests are cultural, and we are active people as well.  We are in our late 50s and open to just about anything.  We are not backpackers but not high end travelers either. Looking forward to your insight.

Answer
Hi Donna and sorry for the delay...impromptu trip to Wisconsin!   A bike trip sounds terrific and I love it that Myanmar's come so far...we used to get stopped for that!  I'm thinking though that on a bike trip you may not have time to explore the wonderful and beautiful area around Inles lake.  I love the markets!  Heho's with the animal trading.  The one on the south side with lemony red ants as condiments, Indein among the ruins.   You could also hike to Kalaw, staying at monasteries along the way (an easy 3 days).  It's also a short trip to Mandalay by car or bus...and I think the Sagaing side is a great place to stay...it's very tranquil with many monasteries and nunneries, and thus many ceremonies ...and there are little boats to places like Ava.  You could also fly down to Yangon and back out to the west coast to see tbe very different Sittwe and Mrauk-U.
Have fun,
Nancy B

Myanmar (Burma)

Nancy B