Mythology/Greek Mythology Interview

Hello! I'm doing a Greek Mythology Project on how it has influenced the modern world and need to interview some experts on the topic, so thank you for taking time to answering my questions!

Q: What are some different events or items today that were influenced heavily by Greek Mythology?

Q: How much of an impact do you think Greek Mythology has had in the world today?

Q: What are some ethical concerns about Greek Mythology that relate to our time?  

Q: In your opinion what are the most popular myths in Greek Mythology and why?

Q: Why do you think Greek Mythology has had such a lasting influence on the world after thousands of years?

Thanks again!

Hi Zhining, here are my answers and I hope they help.

A: the events Greeks invented in their mythology were mostly natural occurrences to which they had no developed science as we do today to give them a proper meaning. One such event was a great earthquake which has changed the structure of the Mediterranean due to its strength. The Greeks related that to be the Titanomachy- the battle between new and old gods of Greece. As for items, you see thousands of those which are directly related to Greek Mythology such as books, statues, paintings etc. Then you find things like the Atlas, the book of maps- named after the titan who held the sky/earth on his shoulders, and even the arrow in the heart to symbolize love- coming from the arrow of Eros/Cupid.

A: this is not because I am influenced personally with the subject, but I believe it has a great, huge impact on the modern world. You could mention Zeus, Cupid and Medusa to the people who are the least bit knowledgeable about the subject and they can give you a correct, or close to correct answer of their description. Even words and saying in modern language have origins from Greek myth, say like: aphrodisiac, hermaphrodite, jovial, ‘looks that kill’ etc… some companies also have names and logos connected to Greek myth. In my country, two of many such companies are Hypnos, importers of mattresses, whose logo is the exact replica of Hypnos’ bust. Also we have another import company named Triton Group. Whose logo is the merman carrying Poseidon’s trident as well as his conch shell. We even have a famous fountain outside the capital called the Triton fountain, also referring to Poseidon’s son- although this fountain has three mermen instead.

A: Even though reading material and/or studying the subject you would find gods of immoral conduct and a few characters of barbarian behaviour, I do not believe Greek mythology does have an impact on modern-day living. I do not exclude the fact there might be some minor fanatic groups which may practice actions taken from Greek mythology, but as of yet I cannot say I have ever heard of such. Again, this does not mean there are definitely no such things. In today’s world I have learnt there are soooo many crazy things which happen I rarely take things of a great surprise!

A: Hercules, Perseus, Theseus, followed by Odysseus; these I think are the top myths/stories which I frequently find in Greek mythology books for young kids who are starting to get acquainted with the subject. The intricate details then begin to show in more adult versions of the stories. I think these are myths which have the essential: the hero who is a man who has either the strength or the wit to overcome obstacles in deeds or monsters and ends up becoming the celebrated hero of the population. They are within themselves beautiful stories at face value, but they become so interesting as they begin to connect within themselves as well as with the meanings the Greeks gave them to explain their world at their time!

A: I think the Greeks were not only a wise nation as to create a social structure that we still imply today to be the best way of life (i.e. democracy), but they also invented science and medicine which we today have greatly developed and use for our time. Myths I guess were no exception. The way they were told, why they were told, has somehow managed to make it the best means of how a human could understand the world around him, therefore using it directly or indirectly in modern-day usage to explain most things. Personally, taking them for the stories they are or studying their actual meaning of how, why etc.. Greek Mythology will remain a favourite subject for me- and I will remain to share what little knowledge I have of it with those who would like to become acquainted with it!

All the best for your project, and I hope I was at least of little help!  

Sean Caruana Webster

I became interested in the subject at a very early age, and learnt more and more as I grew up by visiting libraries and browsing through the internet. I believe to have a very wide knowledge on the subject.

Primary (3-10 years), Secondary (10-16 years) and Post-secondary (16-19 years) education.