Mythology/Odysseus and Aeneas

I was wondering if you could describe Odysseus' and Aeneas' individual personalities and temperaments.What do they have in common and what are their major differences? Also, during their travels when Odysseus was traveling home and Aeneas was trying to get to Rome when and where would it be most plausible for them to cross paths? I was also wondering what meters Homer and Virgil used for the Odyssey and the Aeneid respectfully.

Thank you for your time.

here are my answers:

1)Both the legendary Greek king of Ithaca Odysseus and the Trojan Aeneas, the legendary son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite, destined to become progenitor of Romans, are  great heroes ready to die for their country respectively.

Anyway, while Aeneas  is renowned for his loyalty, patriotism,  sense of duty, religiousness, devotion, piety (“pietas” in Latin), that is to say dutiful conduct towards the gods, parents, relatives, benefactors, country, Odysseus is renowned for his brilliance, love for challenges, versatility and especially shrewdness:  hence his  epithet "Odysseus the Cunning".

To sum up, Odysseus and Aeneas have in common courage, patriotism and love for their family, whereas their most important  differences are shrewdness, which is  typical  of Odysseus, and sense of duty, religiousness, devotion, that are typical of Aeneas.

2) During their travels when Odysseus was traveling home and Aeneas was trying to get to Rome, it would have been  most plausible for them to cross paths in Thracia (see Cicones for Odysseus and the burial ground of Polydorus for Aeneas) , in the Aegean Sea, or in the Mediterranean Sea along the Northern Africa (see Lotus Eaters for Odysseus and Carthage /Queen Dido for Aeneas) or the Sicilian coast(see Scylla and Charybdis for Odysseus and Mount Etna seen by Aeneas).

3)Both  Homer in the Odyssey and Virgil in  the Aeneid  use the dactylic hexameter (aka "heroic hexameter") traditionally associated with the quantitative meter of classical epic poetry in both Greek and Latin.

Such a meter consists of lines made from six (Greek ἕξ transliterated as "hex") feet that would be a "dactyl" (Greek, δάκτυλος transliterated as  dáktylos, “finger”) composed of a long syllable followed by two short syllables .
Such a dactyl is sometimes  a "spondee" (from the Greek σπονδή, spondé, "libation"), which is  a metrical foot consisting of two long syllables.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,

Greek and Roman mythology are my area of expertise.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: