Mythology/Did Zeus have power over the Earth?

Hello Ma'am,
Some Greek myths state that Zeus was the lord of the sky and the earth. But the some myths also state that Zeus and his brothers did not divide the earth. My question is, did Zeus actually have power over the earth? And yeah, what could Zeus's lightning bolts do, other than blasting people?

Actually Zeus, the greatest of the Olympian gods, and the father of gods and men, a son of Cronos and Rhea, had  power over the earth together with his brothers  Poseidon and Hades.

In fact, when Zeus and his brothers distributed among themselves the government of the world by lot, Poseidon obtained the sea, Hades the lower world, and Zeus the heavens and the upper regions, but the earth became common to all, as we read in Homer, Iliad, book xv. lines 187-193.

Zeus  was armed with thunder and lightning, and the shaking of his aegis produces storm and tempest (Homer, Iliad, book xvii, line 593 ff.) : in fact, a number of epithets of Zeus in the Homeric poems describe him as the thunderer and  the gatherer of clouds.

So, his  thunderbolt could destroy people  and  change weather by producing violent storms that hit  the  mankind.

As for different versions of the Greek  myths, please note that this is often a peculiarity of Greek mythology.

Best regards,

Greek and Roman mythology are my area of expertise.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: