Mythology/The daughters of Asclepius

I was wondering if you could you clarify who the daughters of Asclepius are? I seem to be getting mixed information. Panacea, Hygeia and Meditrine appear in some texts while Panacea, Hygeia, Iaso, Aceso and Aglaea appear in others. Every where I look seems to have its own version of who the daughters were. I am gathering information for a tattoo reference so your input would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

According to Pausanias, Description of Greece 1. 34. 3, written in the 2nd.century AD, the daughters of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine,and and his wife Epione, the goddess of the soothing of pain, were three:
-Panakeia (aka Panacea, meaning “universal remedy”, Greek, Πανάκεια)
-Iaso (meaning "mdeicine"/“healing”, Greek Ἰασὼ )
-Hygeia(aka Hygieia, meaning “health”, Greek Ὑγίεια ).

But, according to Suidas, a Byzantine Greek Lexicon c. 10th A.D., the daughters of Asclepius and Epione were five:
-Hygeia (aka Hygieia)
-Panakeia (aka Panacea)
-Akeso (aka Aceso,meaning "Curing", Greek, ἄκεσις))
-Aigle (aka Aglaea or Aegle,meaning " Radiance", Greek Aἴγλη ), though according to only one  source (Scholiast in Aristophanes, Plutus  701), the mother of AIGLE was not Epione, but LAMPETIA, a nymph  who pastured the sacred herds of Helios the sun on the mythical island of Thrinakie (today Sicily, Italy).

As you can see, in this late source of the 10th century A.D. we find AIGLE, that however appears also in an ancient  Greek Lyric  Anonymous, Fragment 939, and AKESO who in Greek sculpural reliefs appears alongside her father Asklepios and sisters Hygeia, Panakeia and Iaso.

As for MEDITRINE (Latin, MEDITRINA), it is the name of the Roman goddess of Healing, a Roman divinity of the art of healing, in whose honour the festival of the Meditrinalia was celebrated on the 11th of October, on which occasion a libation of new wine was made for the first time.

So, I think that the Roman name Meditrina (English, Meditrine)  has been used instead of  the Greek name Iaso as they both means “healing/medicine”.

To conclude, the most reliable sources about Asclepius and his daughters are the Greek comic playwright Aristophanes (died c. 388 BC) and the Greek geographer Pausanias (died 176 AD.)  who tell of three daughters: Iaso, Hygeia and Panakeia,  i.e. Meditrine (Roman name for Iaso), Hygeia and Panakeia.

Best regards,

Greek and Roman mythology are my area of expertise.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: