Mythology/Greek mythology

I'm a murder mystery author from the UK and a vital plot point for my next novel appears to rely more and more heavily on a point of Greek mythology.

The book is set on a fictional Greek island, in a holiday resort. Essentially, I need my sleuth to come to the realisation that two male characters are in a secret gay relationship. He's the sort of sleuth who thinks outside the box and draws parallels between seemingly unrelated things, and I like the idea of him and his sidekick exploring some ancient ruins or Greek myths and legends when the realisation and parallel thinking strikes.

My question is, what aspect of Greek mythology could lead him to this realisation? Is there a particular myth or legend which has a similar storyline, in terms of married/committed and seemingly straight characters actually having a secret relationship with each other? Anything that's even close or vaguely related could help me spark off that chain which could help me finish this book...

Many, many thanks in advance.

Ganymedes & Hyakinthos
Ganymedes & Hyakinthos  
Hello Adam,

this is indeed one very interesting question- not only since this relates to my interest in Greek mythology, but also since I am gay myself and love story-writing, so this sort of hits three major aspects in my life.

Ok so, first & foremost, homosexuality in ancient Greek was not considered taboo, but rather a means of complete male sexual pleasure without the need to procreate. It was Christianity in much later times that condemned the act.

Now I don’t know how far into the story you’ve already ventured, but rather than a fictional island, I would recommend using one of two Greek places: Amyclae or Troy; and I will explain why:

There are two major homosexual relationships in Greek myth, one between Apollo and Hyakinthos of Amyclae, and one between Zeus and the Trojan prince Ganymedes. The former deity, Apollo, was not married, but the latter, Zeus was married to his sister, a very jealous goddess, Hera; though unlike most cases, she did not use her powers to torture her husband’s lover- these in the other cases being all female.
One scene coming to mind is how the sleuth, along with his sidekick, go on a cultural tour say, Troy, when the guide would ask the tourists if they knew which story from local myth involved Troy. Naturally, all would mention Helen and the Horse, and after the guide says something like: “Very true, but there is also another myth, much less known, but not less true. It is here where Zeus, great father of the gods, cast his eyes on the handsome prince Ganymedes, whom he stole off the earth by the claws of his eagle, and took to spoil up on Mount Olympos, making him his lover and cup-bearer”; and as the guide shows them some sort of relief or vase painting of the eagle and the prince, it suddenly clicks in the sleuth’s mind that- hey…they were not at all simply friends, but bed fellows!...or something of the sort :)

I hope this helps, or otherwise I would be very glad to answer any other questions and/or clarify other points etc…

Sean Caruana Webster

I became interested in the subject at a very early age, and learnt more and more as I grew up by visiting libraries and browsing through the internet. I believe to have a very wide knowledge on the subject.

Primary (3-10 years), Secondary (10-16 years) and Post-secondary (16-19 years) education.