I hope you'll allow me to pick your brain

I know that Poseidon sent Cetus to attack Ethiopia, because Cassiopeia said that her daughter was more beautiful than the Neirids. But why would Poseidon be bothered? Did he create them? Was one his wife?

The Nereids were goddesses of the sea. They attended Poseidon like servants and he was guilty of cavorting with them in matters of love. His wife, Amphitrite, was one of them, but she was not a jealous wife like Hera was with Zeus. When Cassiopeia said her daughter as more beautiful than the Nereids, they were insulted. They wanted Poseidon to defend their honor, and Poseidon sent Cetus to claim Andromeda.

In the movie, Clash of the Titans, Cetus was replaced by the Kraken, a Scandinavian sea monster believed to have a real-life counterpart in the giant squid.

Cetus appears in modern biology as Cetacean, the name for whales and dolphins.

I hope this helps.  

William C. Uchtman

I have done research into gods and goddesses and have written brief descriptions of them. I have attempted to scale out family trees as I have already seen with the Olympian gods. I have tried to condense entire pantheons by attributing extra names or aliases to one deity. I have also made efforts to parallel myths with ancient history. I am not an expert nor do I hold any degrees. I am a self-taught person with a lot of otherwise useless information.

No real-world experience

Former Mythology Expert to the Marvel Comics Appendix, former researcher to the Marvel Universe Handbooks

Contributor/Researcher to the Offifical Handbook of the Marvel Universe

No such credentials/Self-Educated

None so far