Mythology/How the Greek gods affected the Greeks' daily lives.

Hello,my name is Morgan and I have been given a project in which I was able to choose any topic, so I chose Greek mythology. For this project, I have to have an interview from an expert on my topic. If you wouldn't mind could you answer these twelve questions for me, preferably in a timely manner (the project will be due in a couple of weeks). Thank you so much.
1)   What made you interested in the topic?
2)   Have you ever written a book on Greek mythology?
3)   Did people really believe in these gods or did they just want something to blame their problems on?
4)   How did the belief in the Gods affect the way people lived in Ancient Greece? How does it affect modern civilization?
5)   Did the civilians who believed in the god have daily religious rituals they performed?
6)   Did the gods' decisions affect the civilians' daily routine? If so, how?
7)   Did the civilians look up to a certain god for work around the house?
8)   Did the Greeks make sacrifices? When? How? What did they sacrifice?
9)   Did the Greeks worship different gods each season?
10)   Did people with certain jobs worship specific gods?
11)   If you didn't worship the gods, did you get in trouble?
12)   Is there any other information you might be able to give me on how the gods affected the Greeks' daily lives?

Hi Morgan, I am so so sorry to write back late, not my usual but somehow I stopped receiving notifications from the site of incoming new questions! So, without further ado...

1) The subject first came to me in an episode from a cartoon series. this is the link to it:

2) I have written many times the tales in both English & my own language, but I have never been able to finish. As yet, I have nothing published but I hope to do so in future.

3) No they believed in them just as Christians believe in God today. Mythology was their religion and way of life, but with Christianity & science they became simply tales and history, which still have strong roots today, thousands of years later!!

4)The Greeks took religion seriously. They took care not to offend their gods and to give them their fair share of worship lest their lives altered negatively, such as loss of rain or death or poor crops etc. from the relics left today, we can see how they were a people who lived a certain way of life, and possibly copied the reasonable parts and applied them to modern-day living.

5) Of course! from studies we see that Greeks who had spacious homes even had specific rooms or niches built as a sort of mini temple to carry out their prayers on a daily basis. they also believed amulets and statuettes of the gods warded of bad omens and brought good luck.

6) Yes it did. One great example is how thanks to Zeus deciding to allow Hades to kidnap Persephone, it brought the origin of winter! a major global change!

7) I believe that Greeks did have their specific deity whom they were more inclined to and preferred. but they never disrespected the rest for gods were jealous just as humans!

8) Yes they did. they sacrificed earth produce or animals on altars invoking thanks and making sure they were on the good side of the god/goddess for a prosperous coming season or year, so I would guess prayers commenced a short period before this new period of time. they would travel to the relative temple and pray along with the priests and priestesses of the temple, most probably before a giant statue of the specific deity.

9) I should think this highly possible since gods were given specific roles; Demeter of crops, Poseidon of the seas, Zeus for rain etc...

10) Surely. fishermen worshiped Poseidon more, businessmen prayed more to Hermes, midwives to Hera, farmers to Demeter etc...

11) The Greeks believed so. obviously whatever did happen which looked as punishment befell the sinful coincidentally, but the people would explain this to be a sign of anger from the gods.

12) Well, I explained most things here which affected Greeks on daily routine. the system was mainly I pray the god with a reasonable manner and offer a gift from the heart, and I get back what I hope for: mainly good health and whatever may give me such I would imagine.

I apologize once more for my tardiness. I hope these answers help you out a lot. I am open for more discussion if you require I would be more than happy to help!

best of luck & regards,

Sean Caruana Webster

I became interested in the subject at a very early age, and learnt more and more as I grew up by visiting libraries and browsing through the internet. I believe to have a very wide knowledge on the subject.

Primary (3-10 years), Secondary (10-16 years) and Post-secondary (16-19 years) education.