Mythology/School research project

Question
Hello, I'm doing a research paper on Greek mythology for my English Class and I was wondering if i could ask you a few questions as an interview for this project. My questions would include: Why were the Greek god/goddesses such an influence on Greek peoples lives? How did they use mythology to explain the world around them? and lastly, What do you think is the most important thing about Greek mythology?

Answer
Why were the Greek god/goddesses such an influence on Greek peoples lives?
The Ancient Greeks believed their gods were responsible for creating the world and everything that happened in it. they had stories linking the gods to the seasons, the powers of life and death and the power of the weather so naturally they believed the gods controlled their lives and in turn had gods they prayed to for guidance in a time they needed guidance and a support system against a world they didn't understand.

How did they use mythology to explain the world around them?
Mythology is simply the stories of a culture or people linked to their beliefs. The Greeks believed mortal man lived and died because they were not as perfect as the gods who lived forever. The believed farming was invented because Persephone had to spent part of the year in the underworld and that farming would give mortal man a chance to grow and develop food during the winter months. They believed storms were caused by Zeus tossing thunderbolts to Earth, much like modern mothers tell little kids that thunder is the sound of Angels going bowling.

What do you think is the most important thing about Greek mythology?
The Greeks gave us many things such as democracy, a calendar and civilization. It is important to know where this stuff comes from and to understand how these people lived in their life time. The stories of the Greeks were about superhuman beings that protected the universe, like our modern day comic book characters. They gave us stories about the underworld of the gods, our first ghost stories. To know where we're going, we need to understand where we've been and where we once were.

Mythology

William C. Uchtman