Mythology/Greek Mythology and modern society

Question
Hi William

i am in high school in my final year, we have got a research project and my topic for this is "What affects does Greek Mythology have in modern society".

any information will be helpful for my project.

the following questions are the main focus for my project:

How has Greek Mythology affected the English language that we use today, how much do we depend on it?

In the lives of people in modern society, what major jobs originate from Greek Myths and how does it affect the daily life of people?

From the stories of Greek Myth, has religion in today’s society changed in anyway. Has the old religion, mentioning the Greek Gods in Myths influenced Christianity or other Religions?

Has Entertainment in general (Movies, Books, TV shows, Games, Drama Plays) used similar aspects and descriptions of characters from moments in a variety of stories in Greek Mythology?

Are Greek Myths a big part of Modern society in terms of Architecture? What types of buildings/statues originate, or have influences from Mythology?

Thank you"

Answer
There are several instances where Greek myth has entered our society. The names of Greek (and Norse) gods appear in the names of days and months. The planets were named after Greek gods, and expressions we hear. The Grim Reaper comes from Thanatos, the god of death, and the name of Narcissus is applied to people obsessed with their own looks. Even the names of people and cities tie back to Greek myth.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're wanting here. I do know the Greeks used to stars to guide their lives like astrologists and possibly inspired modern astronomy. They were teachers and poets, many of their sayings and proverbs inspired later writers like Shelley and Keats. They were also a very imaginative people, whose stories inspired and paralleled works like "Frankenstein" (stealing secrets from the gods) and "Moby Dick" (the battle with a great animal).

The Christian God has several parallels with Zeus inasmuch as they both use thunderbolts to strike down evil-doers and sinners. Jesus Christ parallels the earlier Asclepius for reviving the dead. The Greeks even have their own version of the Biblical Flood.

Excluding movies based on Greek myths, most of modern comic book tales are based on the Greek heroes. Superman is basically the modern version of Hercules. Even horror movies have parallels with the ancient Greek heroes battle in good and evil.

I hope I have helped you somewhat. Truthfully, I'm more involved with the biographical aspects of the Greeks gods than their meanings and modern interpretations.

Mythology

William C. Uchtman