Nail Care & Manicures/big toe nail artificial replacement

CEL wrote at 2009-05-22 21:59:10
Hello,

My situation is very similar to yours.  I had both of my big toenails removed permanently as a teen.  Before I had the toenails removed, my podiatrist told me that I would simply be able to paint over the nail bed and no one would be able to tell.  What he failed to mention is that the nail bed is most often not a flat or attractive surface, and painting it with a shiny paint just accentuates that.

In addition, after painting the nailbed for some time, I discovered that the paint began to give me dermatitis (I was getting rashes similar to those you get from poison ivy).  It's not really healthy to put the stuff that is in nail polish directly on your skin.

I also tried gluing on acrylic nails (tips) using the kits you can buy at the drug store.  However, the glue used for that purpose also contains chemicals which are not meant to be applied directly to the skin, so I eventually developed the same reaction.

After years of experimentation, I have not found a perfect solution.  But my primary suggestion is to use acrylic toenails (you can buy these in kits at most drug stores) and to glue them on with the adhesive made for use with fake eyelashes (also available at most drug stores).  I have had the best luck with Ardell Lashtite Adhesive, which is available at most pharmacies.  In general, I have found that clear adhesives work the best.

This solution works most of the time for me, and the glue is very gentle.  However, it is not a perfect solution...  The glue is not strong enough to hold nails on in water (I have never been able to find a solution that works when I go swimming), and it does not hold them on if your shoes touch or rub the acrylic nail.  For instance, I have peep toe heels which rub the nail as I walk, and it always falls off.

I have recently discovered a vendor on ebay who sells medical grade adhesive for fake eyelashes.  So I am going to try that as well.

Hope this is helpful.  I know it's not fun having to hide your feet all the time.

CEL

bigtoe wrote at 2010-04-15 04:18:28
I have the same with my big toe.  Had it removed when I was 10 and now hate it...especially on holiday!  Is there plastic surgery for this for sure?  I'm not sure where to start?

Liz wrote at 2011-09-22 00:52:15
My toenails were damaged due to hard toe shoes and I know as a former manicurist that it takes a long time for the toenail to grow back. I use acrylic to form a nail on both big toes and they look normal and I have never had a problem doing this. I wear sandals constantly and always receive compliments on my feet. I do remove the enhancements for a few days every month then reapply.

Concerned wrote at 2012-08-19 23:35:33
I have the same problem with my big toes.  The dr. told me I would have a thin nail to paint and I did not.  I wish I had never had my ingrowns removed.  I am so embarrassed to wear sandals.  Acrylic nails do not work because there is nothing for the nail to stick too.  Glue irritates my toe so bad, that I will itch it  till I remove some of thie skin.  Plus the nails are expensive when I only use the one size for the nails for toes.

ando1978 wrote at 2012-09-12 21:57:59
Hey all, I hope this helps ... I lost both my big toenails whilst I was on a tough selection course in the british army, I am also a keen surfer and bumpy nailbeds don't look very good when i'm bumming the around the beach in flip-flops so I decided to find a solution. Encountering similar problems as above, I finally found something that works (kinda) if you take a acrylic fake nail, scratch up the underside with coarse sandpaper ( this will help the glue stick better )

use "gorilla grip" superglue ... It is impact resistant glue with tiny flecks of clear rubber so it doesn't shatter like standard superglue, it is non toxic and shouldn't cause a skin reaction. I usually hold the glued nail tight with a light coloured towel till it sets (this helps get a good bond without leaving dark fluff in the dried glue (or sticking your fingers to your feet ! ). Now nail colour is an issue (acrylics are all unnaturally light coloured), you can gently rub the fake nail with fine grit sandpaper and use a dark pink matte polish and swipe in on with toilet tissue - which makes for a natural look. This summer I have been for over 15 x 3hr plus surfs and only had to renew them 3 times !! hope this helps :D

deedee64 wrote at 2013-03-13 13:48:52
I understand that you can now have a nail implant put on of you have lost a nail.  About 16 years ago my left big toenail came off when I dropped a basket of logs on it.  It grew back, only for me to drop a washing machine in the same toe 7 years later.  it came off again and grew back but the increasing damage to the nail bed made it so that it was no longer adhered at all except right by the cuticle.  Because it was arched by now, I had some of the nail cut away so it would lie flat.  It worked for a bit, but then I lost it again when my husband stood on it whilst we were dancing.  Now it is really arched black and blue because it has been damaged so much.  The lady who does my nails does do a bit a cover up with acrylic and polish but it is much narrower than the other one.  However, she told me about this trial you could get on to for nail implants.  so I'm finding out!!

wakeupbarb wrote at 2013-06-15 20:57:37
OK, I bought the Gorilla Super Glue and have tried it.  Hope it works!!  Thanks for all of this discussion.  

Michelle wrote at 2014-05-17 19:46:12
Have any of you tried Jamberry lacquer?  It's free of the h at am fully chemicals that are in nail polish!  You Could Also Add One Of Out Wraps To YOUR Acrylic OR Gel nails!  Lok b at my page at www.shellznailz.jamberrynails.net I wear these on my toes also and my b ignore toe nail is so short I usually put a fake nail on it.  

let's walk barefoot wrote at 2014-06-26 01:09:12
Let's all get together and figure out a solution.  I do know i saw something in Canada that fixes this problem, google it.  I am thinking about veneers, just think a tooth can be recreated , then glued to an existing tooth.  I am thinking a nail can be recreated and glued via blue light to our skin.  I am currently looking for a medical grade bonding glue for the fake toe nails.  It is always on my mind, I glue a nail on and in an hour, pop off, what we wouldn't do to stop further people from having to go through this as well as to find a permanent and/or semi permanent solution, meaning a years worth of nail wearing at a time.  I dream of walking barefoot without worrying about my nails, of not carrying glue everywhere I go, about being on a jet ski without worrying, my husband bought water shoes for he and I because he knows how upset I get, the doctor removed both my big toe nails when I was little.  It should be against the law to do this procedure.

dbg wrote at 2015-04-19 09:09:14
Wow, I am so blessed hearing your responses! I have struggled for years as well. I was only 13 when I was butchered! It really made a negative impact on my life but I too used fake nails And I am currently seeking a perm solution. I will look into implants but in the meantime will try gorilla glue. Thank-you all for posting. I prayed last night for God to heal this. He led me to you for now...💓

Cassey wrote at 2015-06-21 02:19:01
So happy to find this site! I can relate to the comments here, esp how doctor who removed my damaged toenail by laser and assured me that it will grow back just fine.  What finally grew back is a lumpy, uneven, constantly growing crater-like surface that has to filed down often.  Polishing it would be laughable.  What has worked for me is Kiss Press-on toenails, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find. The ones with nail glue are second best choice.   However, so expensive since I only need the one size and have no use for the rest.  Does anyone know of a place where nails can be purchased individually? That would be really helpful and cheaper.  Thanks everyone for posting.

Cassey wrote at 2015-06-21 02:19:30
So happy to find this site! I can relate to the comments here, esp how doctor who removed my damaged toenail by laser and assured me that it will grow back just fine.  What finally grew back is a lumpy, uneven, constantly growing crater-like surface that has to filed down often.  Polishing it would be laughable.  What has worked for me is Kiss Press-on toenails, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find. The ones with nail glue are second best choice.   However, so expensive since I only need the one size and have no use for the rest. Thanks everyone for posting.

Jazzy wrote at 2015-06-21 02:27:36
Nail Creations from Foot Smart catalog/website are bandaid-like strips with a foam shape for the (fake) toenail and a clear adhesive strip that goes around toe and under. Actually not too bad especially if you are wearing hose.  However, you only get two in each size, and the rest are unusable, as I only need the one for big toe.  This gave me an idea though...I am going to try to make my own by cutting bandaids and using clear tape around them.

Tori! wrote at 2015-11-12 22:08:17
I am 15 and have just recently had my nail removed (2 weeks ago) when changing the bandage my nail bed does not look smooth and as a girl who loves to swim I feel like some nail polish won't help, I never really thought about getting a fake toenail and I now I don't know why! This is such a good idea and I feel like I have to try it out. I like in the UK and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get these products as I don't believe that they are as popular here as the are in the US. After reading the comments I now don't feel as bad about getting the nail off and it never coming back as I am the only person I know who as had to have this done, thanks everyone!x

Kgldsun wrote at 2015-11-23 07:17:11
I promise you all, I am an expert on missing toe nails. I have trawled every site, contacted everybody possible and traveled extensively always on the look out for an answer.

The best by far, lasting a good couple of days is 'Colostomy' spray on adhesive. Medical, and contains no irritants.  Purchase the remover also for tidying up. In The UK one of the brands are Hollister.

No, it's not permanant, but up to now, nothing is better. Yes the impress Broadway nails are really good and I buy these to use for the big toe. The texture I feel is more 'bendy' Good luck.

Kgldsun wrote at 2015-11-23 07:21:28

Lyn wrote at 2016-03-26 23:00:49
Hi this butchering of teenage toes seems to have improved in technique over the years. Over 40 years ago I had mine taken by cutting out the nail bed leaving scaring too. I'm left with callous type skin in crators which fill with sand when on the beach not pretty especially if in volcanic lands! Acrylics do not stick in looking at implants as I'm still conscious after all these years and cover up. Anything you find out will be helpful.

Thanks to all

Lyn  

Cassie wrote at 2016-04-19 17:11:14
Hi, I thought I would share the most effective false nail technique I have found so far. Hope it may help some people! I had both my big toe nails removed as a teenager. One has grown back a small strip of very rough ‘nail’ attached at the back, but not to the bed. I thought it was hideous, but actually it is a godsend because I can stick a false nail to it, with the provided nail glue and it lasts weeks and weeks.

The other nail removal was a 'success', and I am left with basically a crater of uneven skin where a nail should be. Initially I was just filling it with nail glue, popping on the false nail (‘nailene so natural’ from Boots in the uk) and that would last me an afternoon in sandals, but hard glue just falls off skin eventually.

I now use 'telesis 5' silicone adhesive (meant for special effects so safe for skin, and I have very sensitive skin which it has not affected). It isn't cheap- £19.95 for a bottle about the size of a bottle of nail polish, but it looks like water, is very thin and lasts for ages. Got my bottle online last year and have yet to use 1/4 of it.

This method gives me a toenail for 24-48 hours depending on what I'm doing:

If you can stand to put nail glue onto the skin, this is an easy way to make a perfect fitting ‘nail’ and maximum surface contact for the telesis glue.

I tend to roughly build up the back of the false nail with layers of cut up sticking plaster, (more layers where the deepest areas of nailbed are), then fill the crater on my toe with nail glue, smoosh the built up false nail onto it (though not so hard the glue spews out), wait for it to dry then pull it off (or wait for it to fall off if you have the time).

This makes a quick, perfect mould of the area.

You then put a thin layer of Telesis on the nailbed, a thin layer on the moulded back of the false nail, then let both surfaces dry. Yes, let it dry!! It does not stick when wet.

Once it’s dried, stick the nail on, paint and you’re there.

It stays vaguely tacky so doesn’t fall off like brittle glue does. Has lasted me through showers, although not tried it in the bath. I do carry the glue with me just in case, but have only ever needed it once and that time I had rushed putting it on.

I reuse my nails lots of times, just give them a clean between uses and pull off any buildup of Telesis. It goes a bit like ‘bogey glue’ when it builds up on the false nail. Wish there was something that lasted longer, but this is the best I've managed. Hope this helps  :)

Sarah wrote at 2016-06-26 22:28:28
So I have no big toe nails, but unlike some of you, I made the choice to have them removed after being in unbelievable pain!

Yes, I'd love to find a solution for when I have a pedicure, but honestly, that's just for me.

I can't say anyone has commented on me not having toe nails when I wear sandals, especially if I leave them "natural".

I hope you all find confidence in your toes!!

Toothfairy Tracie wrote at 2016-09-02 14:50:48
I've been struggling for years :( Tried all sorts of super glue which lasts for a couple of days but no to closed shoes or getting wet. I tried an experiment and signs look good at the moment and there is no glue in sight! Cut a nail size piece from a green teabag. Use base or top coat to the bed and put the teabag piece on. Apply another coat and wait for it to dry. Varnish. I did this yesterday and showered today and they are still holding :) Can't say more at the moment but so simple and no glue :) Fingers crossed girls  

Nail Care & Manicures

Sylvia de Rijke