Nail Care & Manicures/Gel nail injury

Question
I have gel nails and I recently caught my nail on the car door causing my nail to lift off of my nail bed..my question is should I remove my gel nails to let it heal or am I still able to keep my gel nails on during the healing process?

Answer
Hi Nicole
I understand that you have injured one of your nails and you are wondering if you should take the product off due to your nail pulling away from the bed. It is hard for me to tell you exactly what to do as I can not see what is going on. In some cases the enhancement needs to come off and in other cases it should stay on to protect the nail. If your finger is swelling I highly recommend that you get the product off. If you are not swelling you could leave the product on to product it if it is bumped. I also do not know what kind of gel you have on, whether it is gel polish which is much easier to get off or gel enhancement(unknown whether it is a soak off or no soak off product). Non soak off has to be filed very thinly and that could put more pressure on the nails causing more pain. My best recommendation is to see a nail professional and let them assess the nail and best route to go. Stay away from the cheep places as they will pull the product off which will cause more trauma to the nail and maybe permanent damage. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Karen New, Licensed Nail Specialist

Nail Care & Manicures

Karen New