Nail Care & Manicures/Gel nails and tips

Which is best gel or gel tips, how are gel tips applied?t

There are so many gel products on the market these days, there's no way to pick out which one is "best."

Plus, each nail tech has personal preferences and skill levels that factor in to their choice of products.

Light Elegance, Akzentz,Masterworks, Young Nails, CND, OPI, and NSI are some of the major players in the gel product game here in the U.S. While other countries have other big name brands as well. You'll have to try several lines and decide which one you like best.

Applications methods also vary and you'll need to play around with different techniques to see which one works best for you. All the major manufacturers back up their product with education available to professional nail techs-- just check out their websites or give them a call to find an educator and/or seminar near you.

You can also attend an industry trade show, which will give you a chance to visit several companies under one roof and view application techniques.  

Nail Care & Manicures

Maggie Franklin

Professional Nailcare: nail enhancement chemistry and technique, mancuring and pedicuring. I am not qualified to give medical advice or make medical diagnoses.

I am a professional nail technician with 17 years experience in the professional beauty industry. I am licensed in the states of California (license #M120766) and Colorado (license #8611.) I have been an active member of the online mailing list at since 1999 where I network with 100s of nail industry professionals around the world. Over the last 15 years I have accumulated several advanced training certificates, including the coveted Creative Nail Designs Master Nail Technician status, and personal training by Tammy Taylor, Tom Bachik, and Tom Holcomb. I briefly joined the competition circuit in 2002, taking first place in the second annual Strut Your Stuff Online competition in the Enhancement 2 category. In 2009 I have decided to make time in my schedule to get back into competition by joining "Team Pink," the competition team captained by current world champion nail technician, Lynn Lammers. I boast several contributions to articles that have appeared in both Nails and Nailpro magazines, including a brief stint as a Nails Magazine Help Desk contributor and now I write a semi-weekly blog for Nails Magazine while continuing to attend tradeshows and continuing education events.

Nail Tech mailist list at

Nails Magazine. Nailpro Magazine. Blogging for Nails Magazine since September, 2008:

CA license #M120766. CO license #8611. CND Master Nail Technician. Tom Holcomb Academy. Personal training with Tom Bachik. Two day advanced training with Tammy Taylor. AEFM certified for use of electric file. HRTE (High Road to Education) in San Jose, CA 2009.

2nd Annual Strut Your Stuff Online competition, 1st place in Enhancement 2. Member of "Team Pink" competition team 2009. 3rd place, Novice tip-and-overlay relay at IBS Las Vegas, 2009.