Nail Care & Manicures/acrylic lifting

Question
Can you tell me just how much filing of my nails should be done prior to getting artificial nails done.  Should they be doing more than just removing the shine?  Is it the primer or the prep that makes the biggest difference?  Thanks

Answer
There should be minimal filing on the natural nail prior to any service. Just a light buffing to remove shine. It's best to file the natural nail in a vertical direction-- up and down from the tip to the cuticle. This is the direction the nail grows in and etching in this manner is less damaging to the natural texture of the nail.

Filing can be done with a hand file, a electric file, or a soft buffer-- it can be a course or soft grit, but should be done very gently.

Good preparation of the natural nail will go much further to final product performance than primer. When done properly, prep technique and primer together make a superior bond. Primers can be MAP (Methacrylic Acid# or protein type. Most people tend to refer only to MAPs as "primer" even though protein bonders are also, technically, primers. MAP #old school primer that stinks like gym socks and burns if it gets on your skin) is highly acidic and can cause chemical burns to skin. It should be used extremely sparingly, in very light coats. It should not be allowed to contact your skin! And more coats will not result in better adhesion of product.

MAPs will NOT "eat away" or "dissolve" your nails. They will dehydrate them though. But when used properly, they remain a safe and very effective bonding agent.

Nail Care & Manicures

Maggie Franklin