Nail Care & Manicures/gel nails

Question
I had acrylic nails for 15 years & changed to gels. I keep them short but the gels are not protecting my soft nails. at the slighted touch they chip. help. I am at my wits end. I live in Las Vegas. what do you sugest

Answer
Gel is softer than acrylic, and I often see people who transition to gel have trouble adjusting the fact that their nails will no longer stand up to the abuse they put them through with acrylic.

Gel, however, should NOT be chipping "at the slightest touch." That's an indication that the gel is too thin or isn't curing properly. Too thin is simple to fix-- just add another coat or two. Not curing properly requires your nail tech to understand the curing process well enough to go through the trouble shooting process to fix the problem.

However, if your nail tech has several clients and others are not experiencing this same problem, there's a good chance that what you consider "the slightest touch" is actually more than natural nails would hold up to.

As I said, this is pretty common, especially for people who have worn acrylic for a long time. You simple get so used to how strong the acrylic is, that you forget how delicate natural nails are. Transitioning to anything more prone to chipping than acrylic leaves you feeling like you're barely touching things and still breaking nails.

Some people never make the transition well, acrylic is simply the only thing that holds up to their life style. That's ok. There's nothing wrong with acrylic when it's applied by a conscientious professional and maintained properly.

Talk to your nail tech about using a couple more coats to build up the overlay and see if that helps.

Nail Care & Manicures

Maggie Franklin