Nail Care & Manicures/How to Maintain Long Nails

Question
Greetings,

I am Kaitlin Green, a graduate student enrolled in the master of Arts in English program at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I am currently writing an article for a course, for which I am researching advice for maintaining long fingernails.

I would very much appreciate correspondence with an expert regarding how to grow and maintain long fingernails for the purpose of quoting within my article. My questions for this article are as follows:

1. What substances/activities weaken your nails, and should be avoided?
2. How should you treat a crack in a nail? Can it be sealed? Can breakage be prolonged?
3. What simple, at-home treatments promote stronger nails?
4. How can people with weaker fingernails strengthen their nails to promote growth?
5. What day-to-day habits can strengthen or weaken long nails?

Thank you very much for your correspondence regarding any or all of these questions. I very much appreciate your time and advice. Again, my article will be used for a course at Duquesne University, and I will be happy to send a copy of the article at your request.

I will gladly anticipate your reply until Wednesday (9/18) at 1:00 P.M. EST.

Thank You and Regards,

Kaitlin Green
College Lifestyles™ Duquesne University Satellite Writer
Website: http://collegelifestyles.org
Twitter: @collegelifestyl, @kaitie_g
Duquesne University
College Lifestyles™ is an online magazine bringing nutrition, fashion, etiquette, career, and lifestyle to the classiest of co-eds.  Friend us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Answer
Hi Kaitlin,
I hope that I can help you with your paper, in regards to your Masters Program.
I have been a License Nail Specialist  in Florida for over 17years, I love what I due and continue to stay up on our ever changing industry.
Your first question asks: what substances/activities weaken your nails, and should be avoided?
Daily activities can really do a number on on your nail, one of these most worst culprits is water, the nails are made up of keratin and carry molecules of water and oil in chains, as you learned in biology, osmosis move fluids in and out the nail water is absorbed into the nail and forces oil out now there is an unbalance and gives a greater chance of breakage, when ever the nail is weaker any activity that your do can cause breakage, carrying things, picking up things, work, gardening, housework, sports, and many many more things we do on a daily basis. As long as you have a healthy nail you should be able to do what you want.One thing you should never do healthy or not, never ever use your nails as tools.
Your second question is: How should you treat a crack in a nail? Can it be sealed? Can breakage be prolonged? First it will depend on what the the client wants, if they do not want to save the nail clip it back and file the nail to the shape they want, if they choose to save it you can patch it with a product. I choose to fix nails in this way: if it is a long vertical nail I use a thin overlay of acrylic if the client is ok with it, you can also use a silk or fiberglass and resin glue patch, the glue is water soluble and will break down. I am not sure what you mean by prolonged, I am not sure if you mean will it continue to break over time, if it is stressed, yes.
The third question you asked is: What simple, at-home treatments promote stronger nails? Two very important things you can do are eat a healthy diet and use a high quality cuticle oil(no mineral oil)the body will not assimilate it, natural oils such as grape seed, sweet almond, avocado, and even olive oil, they have smaller molecules and can penetrate the nail bed, it then forces the water out of the nail which is called plasisize and re balances the nail(kind of like putting conditioner on your hair),use rubber gloves when cleaning or in any chemicals again the nail is like a sponge and chemicals will differently dry it out and then breakage occurs. If you garden also wear gloves,(Here is a tip I give to all my clients that garden get a cheap bar of soap soften in microwave gouge your nails in the softened soap and now it supports the stress on the nail and makes it easy to clean.
Your forth question is: How can people with weaker fingernails strengthen their nails to promote growth? cuticle oil, cuticle oil, cuticle oil. I can never say that enough that is what the nail needs, also having regular nail service from a quality salon that truly knows what they are doing and will really educate you about proper nail care, not a NSS(Non Standard Salon as known in the industry). Some people want to wear nail strengthener but it will over time dry your nails out. Your question number 5 is: What day-to-day habits can strengthen or weaken long nails? My answer is still the same as above, cuticle oil is the absolute best thing for any length.I hope this helps you, if you still need more information lease feel free to contact me directly.
Thank you
Karen New
Spa Touch, LLC
1008 Webster Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32804
407.523.5088
407.432.3712 text
http://www.spatouch1.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SpaTouchLLC  

Nail Care & Manicures

Karen New