Nail Care & Manicures/do i need a new set

I currently have acrylics and am thinking of going to pink and white am I required to take the acrylic off to start the pink and white

That will depend on who you have do them. Some techs prefer to remove existing product and start fresh when changing out. Or, if you change nail techs, the new tech may prefer not to work on someone else's product.

Also, what Pink & White product will you be switching to? If you're going to continue with acrylic, they can be backfilled to the pink and white, but you may have some awkward growing out time till the nailbeds are pink if you currently have a clear or natural color acrylic.

If you will be switching to pink and white in gel, then you're best off removing the acrylic first.

Just remember: gel is NEVER a powder. I know there are some salons across the country that are doing acrylic with a gel topcoat and charging significantly higher prices for "gel" nails.

And be sure the acrylic is removed properly by soaking it off. If any filing is done, make sure that your natural nails aren't damaged in the processe. But product should NEVER be removed by prying it off the nail! That means no nippers, no shoving a tip between the product and the natural nail, no metal implements shoved between the product and the nail to pry it off, and no thread or string. If someone tries to remove product in these ways, it's time to find a new salon.

Nail Care & Manicures

Maggie Franklin

Professional Nailcare: nail enhancement chemistry and technique, mancuring and pedicuring. I am not qualified to give medical advice or make medical diagnoses.

I am a professional nail technician with 17 years experience in the professional beauty industry. I am licensed in the states of California (license #M120766) and Colorado (license #8611.) I have been an active member of the online mailing list at since 1999 where I network with 100s of nail industry professionals around the world. Over the last 15 years I have accumulated several advanced training certificates, including the coveted Creative Nail Designs Master Nail Technician status, and personal training by Tammy Taylor, Tom Bachik, and Tom Holcomb. I briefly joined the competition circuit in 2002, taking first place in the second annual Strut Your Stuff Online competition in the Enhancement 2 category. In 2009 I have decided to make time in my schedule to get back into competition by joining "Team Pink," the competition team captained by current world champion nail technician, Lynn Lammers. I boast several contributions to articles that have appeared in both Nails and Nailpro magazines, including a brief stint as a Nails Magazine Help Desk contributor and now I write a semi-weekly blog for Nails Magazine while continuing to attend tradeshows and continuing education events.

Nail Tech mailist list at

Nails Magazine. Nailpro Magazine. Blogging for Nails Magazine since September, 2008:

CA license #M120766. CO license #8611. CND Master Nail Technician. Tom Holcomb Academy. Personal training with Tom Bachik. Two day advanced training with Tammy Taylor. AEFM certified for use of electric file. HRTE (High Road to Education) in San Jose, CA 2009.

2nd Annual Strut Your Stuff Online competition, 1st place in Enhancement 2. Member of "Team Pink" competition team 2009. 3rd place, Novice tip-and-overlay relay at IBS Las Vegas, 2009.