Nail Care & Manicures/Allergic reaction

Question
Hello. After using acrylic nails for 15 years, I have developed an allergic reaction to either the monomer or the acetone. I do not know which and my question is.....How can I know which of these are causing my hands and fingers to turn red, itch and hurt? Additionally, are there hypoallergenic monomers and acetones on the market? Are these products used with Gel nails? Please help...I had to completely stop having my nails done and I miss them terribly! Thank you in advance!

Answer
It is unlikely that acetone is the culprit here. If you find you have a reaction to nail polish removers that contain acetone, switch to a non-acetone product.

Most often, it's the monomer that leads to problems. Unfortunately, once your skin has decided it's allergic to monomer, there's not much you can do to convince it otherwise. Simply switching to a different brand won't help much.

You'll need to find an alternative product that doesn't expose you to monomer. Many people find gels to be a solution. Brisa gel by CND is even labeled as hypoallergenic.

When looking for a salon that offers gel nails, be sure you are getting the real deal: gels are NEVER A POWDER. This has been a major issue in the nail industry for many years now-- some salons call their product "gel" when, in fact, it is actually acrylic.

Gels come in a variety of thicknesses, but they all have a honey-like consistency. They come that way. There is NO POWDER involved.

Many nail techs now refer to traditional builder gels as "hard" gels, in order to distinguish them from the newer gel polishes on the market. A hard gel can be used to build extensions, just like acrylic.

Another excellent option is a "tip and dip" system such as Extreme by a company called Backscratchers. This involves using coats of nail glue dipped or sprinkled with nail powder to add thickness and strength. Nail glue has a very low incidence of sensitivity so it's a great alternative for people who hav developed allergies.

Nail Care & Manicures

Maggie Franklin