Nail Care & Manicures/nail discoloration

Right foot
Right foot  

Left foot
Left foot  

I am writing because my big toenails have an off and on white discoloration. I don't know what the deal is - whether it's fungus or what. It comes and goes, but I d always keep my toenails painted. I don't think it feels any different than the rest of my nails. Like I said, it's only my big toes. I used to have chronic ingrown big toenails in high school. I'm not sure if that's related.

Hello Tracy,

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your concern.

I took a look at your pictures.  Well, here is the good news. I don't believe it is a fungus.  I can see that as your nails are growing out, they are clear.  However, I am a nail technician and the only person that can give you a definite answer would be a podiatrist.

My opinion is that at one point, your nails could have been too long and could have been pressing against your shoes for some reason.  Based on the growth of your toenails, I would say it would be a pair of shoes that you were wearing approximately 2 months or so ago.

It is always a good idea to give your nails a break from nail polish but for many of us that's just not going to happen.  lol.  Not sure where you live but if it's closed toe season, give your nails a break and just keep an eye on the growth.  If the white discoloration does not grow out and just stays in the same place, please visit a podiatrist.  There could be trauma to your nail bed.

Thanks for writing in and if you have any other questions or want to send me another photo in about 6 weeks, I would be more than happy to check that out for you.

Take care,

Nail Care & Manicures

Kathy Watson

HEALTHY NAILS AND LASTING COLOR. My name is Kathy Watson and as a natural nail care expert, I can answer any question as it pertains to nail care treatments. I can discuss all aspects of natural nail care including but not limited to nail disorders, nail diseases, infection control, manicuring, pedicuring and product awareness. I have worked with a podiatrist and have an extensive knowledge of nail disorders addressed by a podiatrist however I am not a medical physician nor podiatrist and am not qualified to give medical advice or make medical diagnoses.

I am the owner of :cure nail clinic and have provided nail care to a number of industries including medical and hospitality.

Completed Training, Bellus Academy, El Cajon California Certified in Gel Polish Applications Certification in Elderly & Diabetic Nail Care Created Katherine Watson Soak-Free Nail Care System