Nail Care & Manicures/Nail discoloration

I do not usually use polish on my nails, but I had a pedicure a few weeks ago for a special event.  When my nails started to grow out, I removed the polish with acetone and was distressed to discover that, while the new growth was pink and healthy-looking, the nails under the polish were yellowed and unsightly. What could have caused this? Until they grow out completely, my two-toned toenails are really ugly!

Hey Priscilla,

I'm so sorry to hear that happened. I also understand your frustration. Well, the good news is that your nails will continue to grow and te discoloration will no longer be an issue. It sounds like a low quality, contaminated or no base coat was used. Even with the darkest of nail colors, if a good base coat is applied, your nails shouldn't become discolored.

So, let's keep those nails looking good and you feeling good until they grow out. I would purchase a subtle color like Passion or Bubble Bath from OPI. Any flesh tone color from a reputable company will do. After applying a base coat, apply the color. I want you to gauge the coverage. If the first coat is enough to hide the discoloration, just add your top coat and you're done. If you need a second coat, go for it. However, if you find the second coat doesn't cover it enough for you, apply a think coat of a light white first then the color. A lot of times, this will offset the discoloration before applying your color.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Nail Care & Manicures

Kathy Watson

HEALTHY NAILS AND LASTING COLOR. My name is Kathy Watson and as a natural nail care expert, I can answer any question as it pertains to nail care treatments. I can discuss all aspects of natural nail care including but not limited to nail disorders, nail diseases, infection control, manicuring, pedicuring and product awareness. I have worked with a podiatrist and have an extensive knowledge of nail disorders addressed by a podiatrist however I am not a medical physician nor podiatrist and am not qualified to give medical advice or make medical diagnoses.

I am the owner of :cure nail clinic and have provided nail care to a number of industries including medical and hospitality.

Completed Training, Bellus Academy, El Cajon California Certified in Gel Polish Applications Certification in Elderly & Diabetic Nail Care Created Katherine Watson Soak-Free Nail Care System