Nail Care & Manicures/Skin peeling after application.

Hello. I taught myself to do nails for over two years now, and I've not had a negative incident until about 6 months ago. After doing an application on myself, my finger tips started to itch tremendously. This went on for about 3-4 days. Needless to say, touching anything or washing dishes became tasks that were difficult due to the further irritation caused by the scratching of my fingertips because of the constant itching. In about 2 weeks time, I noticed a browning of my finger tip, on the inside of the tip, (ball of the finger), and a week later, the skin would peel. Even though I would take breaks and let my hands heal, even used a cheaper brand, (Kiss),it would still itch, even though the itch was not at harsh and constant. I love doing my nails, but I have been wearing my natural nails since. Are there any hypoallergenic products that I can use instead, or will I have to resort to just polish and topcoats?

Hi Tess,

I apologize for my late response.  I'm in the middle of moving, lol.  

Well, it sounds like you had an allergic reaction to something.  I would recommend two things:

Consult a dermatologist to make sure it isn't something else.  Sometimes our bodies can react from one thing and it shows someplace completely different.

Next, switch to a brand like Zoya.  The thing with polish is that it's a chemical, plain and simple and for long wear, it must contain certain things.  Something else you might want to try is Incoco.  It's nail polish but in a form of an applique.  There are some even on the market that are sticker based like Jamberry nails.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know how you are doing with updates.

Have a good one.

Nail Care & Manicures

Kathy Watson

HEALTHY NAILS AND LASTING COLOR. My name is Kathy Watson and as a natural nail care expert, I can answer any question as it pertains to nail care treatments. I can discuss all aspects of natural nail care including but not limited to nail disorders, nail diseases, infection control, manicuring, pedicuring and product awareness. I have worked with a podiatrist and have an extensive knowledge of nail disorders addressed by a podiatrist however I am not a medical physician nor podiatrist and am not qualified to give medical advice or make medical diagnoses.

I am the owner of :cure nail clinic and have provided nail care to a number of industries including medical and hospitality.

Completed Training, Bellus Academy, El Cajon California Certified in Gel Polish Applications Certification in Elderly & Diabetic Nail Care Created Katherine Watson Soak-Free Nail Care System