Nail Care & Manicures/Thumbnail

I have a strange situation with my thumbnail. There is a thin split from the top of the white part of the fingernail and proceeds downward for approximately 1/4 inch. It is very annoying because the top of my fingernail wants to split if I let the nail grow too long. I need to keep the thumbnail trimmed so the it does not snag on clothing. Do you know what causes this situation? It is something that has recently developed, approximately one year.

I thank you for your reply.

Hi Kenneth,

Sounds like you've had some trauma to your thumbnail.  As you nail grows, it has the stability of your nail bed but once it grows into the the white part of your nail (we like to call it the free edge), it no longer has that support and will begin to split.

You are doing the best thing for it by keeping it short.  If it's been going on for about a year, this might be a permanent thing but keep an eye on it for another couple of months.

If there is no change and it continues to grow this way, it is permanent and you have a few options:

1.  just keep that thumbnail short.  this way it won't snag on anything

2.  have a nail technician apply a fiber wrap to the nail.  when done correctly, you won't even notice it

3.  have a nail technician apply a thin overlay gel to the nail. this will keep the nail intact once it grows to the splitting point.

Keep in mind that since your nails grow, you will have to maintain option number 2 and number 3.

Let me know if you have any other questions and how your nails are doing.

Have a good one,

Nail Care & Manicures

Kathy Watson

HEALTHY NAILS AND LASTING COLOR. My name is Kathy Watson and as a natural nail care expert, I can answer any question as it pertains to nail care treatments. I can discuss all aspects of natural nail care including but not limited to nail disorders, nail diseases, infection control, manicuring, pedicuring and product awareness. I have worked with a podiatrist and have an extensive knowledge of nail disorders addressed by a podiatrist however I am not a medical physician nor podiatrist and am not qualified to give medical advice or make medical diagnoses.

I am the owner of :cure nail clinic and have provided nail care to a number of industries including medical and hospitality.

Completed Training, Bellus Academy, El Cajon California Certified in Gel Polish Applications Certification in Elderly & Diabetic Nail Care Created Katherine Watson Soak-Free Nail Care System