National Security Agency/Questions about a work of fiction...

Question
I have a few questions about a story whose hero is an intelligence officer(could be either from the NSA or CIA), which I hope to start writing. Please feel free to decline answering any one of them for any reason!
1. Do some agents have an expertise regarding the use of various weapons and hand to hand combat(martial arts) or is this just a false depiction and the stuff of movies?
2. Should these people have good social skills and a good understanding of human psychology?
3. Can an agent tell his/her close relatives about this job or is this completely forbidden?
Thank you for taking your time to read this!

Answer
1) Yes, some do. When I, as an NSA agent,  went to Iraq on a deployment in 2004, I was sent to a CIA training camp and certified on the Glock 9mm and the M4 assault rifle. While I didn't ever learn hand to hand, CIA agents I knew certainly did.

2) Absolutely, and a mastery of those things makes the difference between success and promotion on the job.

3) Telling close relatives about the fact of your employer is not classified, however, it is always a risk because if they were to ever publicly leak it, that could disqualify one for certain overseas missions. My closest family knew where I worked, but less close people I told that I worked for "the department of defense."

National Security Agency

Keith Massey