Native American Culture/Stones that Ive found in southeastern Minnesota

scott doblar wrote at 2010-03-27 22:51:39
They are not artifacts. Those type of stones are common in southeast minnesota and may be what is called Omars, if not something similar. They are formed by the softer material having been dissolved, thus the cavity.  

That is not to say that they could not of been used say as a small mortar by a native person, but they are not an artifact.  

M Christensen wrote at 2011-03-07 20:42:47
They are Native American fire starters and mortars. These have been used for thousands of years and are most often found near rivers, streams and fields where former camps were located. They did not carry these tools with them they left them lying around or tucked into an earthen bank to be used and reused. Identical fire starters were found on a bluff in Wabasha county where campfire remnants were still visible. Those fire starters are on display in the Arrow Head Museum just outside Wabasha MN.

CBvet wrote at 2015-12-29 01:25:32
I have 2 stones like these, also found in SE Minnesota. Always wondered about them and figured they were used as some sort of bow-drill tool. Pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.