Native American Culture/Native American Silver Hallmark

QUESTION: Hi, I came across this Native American necklace and I absolutely cannot find this hallmark symbol anywhere. Any help you could give in deciphering the symbols or the maker would be great.

ANSWER: It's not just the hallmark that identifies a piece exactly, if possible. I would need a good overall shot of the necklace and a close-up of a typical stone setting on it, to try and narrow the field. Send it as a follow-up question.

QUESTION: Here is a picture of the necklace containing the silver hallmark. I know very little about it.

This is certainly a puzzle! The work resembles early 1970s work by Wylie White Cloud -- worked in California through the eighties, but the hallmark wasn't in my own files. I checked my reference library, and it sort of resembles Eugene Crawford's mark (Navajo smith who signed G C with a sunburst/moon form), but not really very close. I can't seem to find any definitive reference for it both among individual silversmiths and bench shops. Sorry. wish I could give you more information.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.