Native American Culture/Native American Beadwork ID

Question
front
front  

back
back  
Hi,  I found this in the bottom of a box of paper at an auction today. The beads are sewn onto a piece of soft white leather.  The black "frame" is sewn onto the leather to form a frame around the beadwork. I imagine it was in a picture frame. It measures 3 1/2" x 4 3/4"  As background this was in a box of paper belonging to the family of Benjamin Clarke Morse who was a Brig. General in the US Army from 1880's to 1920's  He was stationed at Fort Mackinac in Michigan and also in Philippines, Cuba, Vera Cruz, Panama and Texas. Any help is appreciated.

Answer
Fort Mackinac is located on land that was considered Menominee land. Nearby are Ojibway(Chippewa) and Anishinabe tribal lands. This type of beadwork is usually given as a thank you gift acknowledging some personal or family kindness. The style could be any of the three or Potawotomi. It was a very special souvenir of the service of Gen. Morse and was carefully kept in his family, so it should not be too hard for you to research and see if there was a specific incident. Good luck in your search.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton