Native American Culture/copper plate depicting native american

native american
native american  

native american
native american  
dear Mr. Sutton,
I wonder if you can tell me: 1 - who is this?
         2 - what does the alternating direction - 8 groups of 18 heart shaped leaves(6x3) indicate?
         and 3 - what might fair market value be?
it doesn't seem to be attributed to anyone.    
Thank you for your assistance

It's a pretty good example of burnished copper sheet art, in this case, a portrait. I haven't seen anything like this in many years, and at the time, the artwork was of a buffalo. It sold at auction for only $80. The circling forms are not hearts as much as a wreath of cottonwood leaves. You'll have to search photo portrait archives to see if this is an historic person. It just might be someone's grandfather. The scarf and the wrapped braids' style indicate a Southern Plains person, possibly Comanche. The scarf is closed by a metal appearing clasp which might indicate US Army issue. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.