Native American Culture/copper plate depicting native american

Question
native american
native american  

native american
native american  
dear Mr. Sutton,
I wonder if you can tell me: 1 - who is this?
         2 - what does the alternating direction - 8 groups of 18 heart shaped leaves(6x3) indicate?
         and 3 - what might fair market value be?
it doesn't seem to be attributed to anyone.    
Thank you for your assistance

Answer
It's a pretty good example of burnished copper sheet art, in this case, a portrait. I haven't seen anything like this in many years, and at the time, the artwork was of a buffalo. It sold at auction for only $80. The circling forms are not hearts as much as a wreath of cottonwood leaves. You'll have to search photo portrait archives to see if this is an historic person. It just might be someone's grandfather. The scarf and the wrapped braids' style indicate a Southern Plains person, possibly Comanche. The scarf is closed by a metal appearing clasp which might indicate US Army issue. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton