Native American Culture/Kachina Information

Front of 1st Kachina
Front of 1st Kachina  

Front of 2nd Kachina
Front of 2nd Kachina  
My mom wanted me to put some of her Kachinas on ebay, but I can't find out any information about them.  Any direction you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  I have 2 others and multiple angle pictures, but they will only let me upload 2.

The dolls in the images appear to be either Navajo or possibly Zuni made. The maker's names are important to determining origin, and that is critical to setting a price. Look under the bases for a signature. Navajo made dolls, with few exceptions, bring much lower prices than either Zuni or Hopi dolls. Hopi dolls, carved all in cottonwood have a higher collectibility factor among kachina collectors. There is one important consideration, when considering sales online, and that is how are you going to ship them so they remain intact? These are fragile items. So fragile that we understand UPS now will not insure them in a shipment. That's why you don't see dolls among our listings unless they are very simple carvings that can withstand shipping. I would recommend you locate local dealers in American Indian arts and sell them locally rather than incurring the possibility of loss through shipping.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.