Native American Culture/Hallmark for Turquoise Ring

Question
Hallmark
Hallmark  

front & side of ring
front & side of ring  
Hello, Dr. Sutton - I enjoy learning from your comments on the Experts website and follow your Ebay store items as well.
I purchased in 10/2012 a man's sterling turquoise ring out of Oregon and cannot locate the artist's hallmark - it reminds me of a thunderbird. I have Wright's 2000 edition of "Hallmarks of the Southwest" but haven't come across the solution using that text yet. I have more pictures if your need them.
Could you also tell me about the source of the turquoise and the approximate value of the ring?
Thank you for your expertise and sharing your knowledge with the public - you're doing a great service!

Answer
Dr. Sutton is another guy -- I'm just Richard, the Indian trader and writer of novels.

Re: Your ring, the work appears to be Navajo, Platero style and the stone resembles some of the recent material I've seen coming out of Kingman and other So AZ mines, but the color is a little off, possibly from body oil, suntan lotion, etc., which can green up turquoise if it isn't stabilized. The cabochon surface shows some wear, so that is probably the case.

As far as the maker's Identity, this seems to be the stamp of a bench operation. I've seen it before, but I can't place it among the New Mexico manufacturers I know best. There is a Denver, Colorado operation that uses a thunderbird hallmark, but I don't have one handy to compare yours to. Give me a week, and I'll see if I can scare up another opinion. I'll do a follow-up post. Hope this helps  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton