Native American Culture/Pipe

Question
top
top  

front
front  
I received this when my grandfather passed away, he never told me the story behind this one.  Just wondering if its real and what it might be made out of?

Answer
Looks like a personal turtle fetish to me -- a touchstone. It shows lots of wear, so he must have carried it a lot. Among the Lakota and Dakotah Sioux, turtles are revered for very strong life-force and fertility. Among the Southwestern people, such as the Navajo, turtle fetishes are carried to help with arthritis. It could also just be a nice carving in a serpentine that felt good in the hand. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton