Native American Culture/Native American Hallmark

Question
Turtle/Lizard Hallmark
Turtle/Lizard Hallmark  
QUESTION: Hallmark of a turtle, or lizard, inside a ring that is vintage or newer.  I have not been able to find it in my usual resources.  Do you have any information about it?

ANSWER: Barbara -- I checked our references and field notes, and can't find it there at all. Send a follow-up with a shot of the work on the front and any information as to where it was purchased and maybe we can get some information together.

Asymmetrical Ring
Asymmetrical Ring  
QUESTION: Attached is the front of the ring.  It was purchased at a large Native American Jewelry Show in Houston, TX in the 1990's.  No information about who it was purchased from, but believe that the piece was new.  Have been told that a similar ring found, in a resource book, was produced by Charles Loloma but with different bezel work. Don't know it this artist studied with Loloma or just a copy of style.

Answer
C. Loloma used a custom stamp of his name, and his daughters and nieces that followed, used the name Sonwai, but there is a Navajo family that have done this kind of raised inlay for some time. The Lincoln family, most recently Laura Lincoln, do it, and maybe this is from a family member we never bought from. It may also be non-Indian made. I wish I could offer you more. I also remember that in the 1980s, a Navajo inlayer named Carlos Eagle was doing larger scale work like cuffs and large pendants in multistone, raised inlay.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton