Native American Culture/Totem animals

Question
Hello,
have you ever happened to hear that one shouldn't eat meat from his totem animal? I have heard that from a Lakota friend many years ago and I'm unable to check as she passed away quickly after that conversation. However I seem to remember in several cultures consuming meat from specific animals was considered to grant 'special powers' from that animal. I'm a bit confused what native americans actually practiced.
Thanks

Answer
I've heard that also, from people who are members of clans whose guide animals they normally wouldn't be eating anyway. As far as the eating of an animal conferring special powers, most of the Native people I'm familiar with primarily in the Southwest, don't eat or hunt predators, especially bears, who are revered, but body parts, such as claws are considered powerful medicine. I'm just not that familiar with the details. You would do well to ask an Elder in whichever Nation you are connected with. If you are not Native, or are not fully initiated into the traditional religious practices, don't be surprised if they simply defer the question by changing the subject or turning away.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton