Native American Culture/Identifying wood carving

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
I recently purchased a piece in a local consignment shop and I am having a difficult time identifying the artist, tribal affiliation, or what the purpose of the piece is/was. (Is it just a wall hanging or did it serve a greater purpose at some point?) The piece measures about 15 1/2" x 11 1/2" and it weighs approx. 3 pounds. The piece is not as red as the photos suggest the colors are darker than they appear.

Answer
It seems to be some form of cedar carving. The subject, although not all the elements are familiar to me, appear to be from the Northwest Coast tradition. Although the maker's signatures are not familai9r to me, there are quite a few carvers working. I would want to do some further research,and would look into the Bella Coola Community and the Kwagiulth Nation. The two human hands, below the bears, appear to be holding corn, which is unusual for this origin. I would also expect that the eyes of the central face are inlaid in shell mother of pearl. Abalone would probably confirm origin for me, but if other form of shell is used, then it might be a question. It seems to be a wall-hanging as it isn't set up to be a portion of a mask or ceremonial object. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton