Native American Culture/Native American Culture

I've long been a fan of mythology and gods and goddesses. I've collected hundreds of notes and details on the religous figures of Native Americans and how both diverse it is and how parallel it often is. However, I recently watched a segment on TV on Mayan like ruins on Georgia and how the discovery could radically alter our knowledge of American history. We've been told that Native Americans traveled here by way of a Bering land bridge during the Ice Age, but if that was the case, wouldn't all the Native Americans have a single cuture and identical customs? Can you share me your thoughts on this?

It is an interesting question you've hit on. The time-frame of the migration during the last ice age puts nomadic folks from Northern Coastal Asia here between 14,000 and 12,000 years ago. The actual "bridge" was a wide land, and since they were simply following the coast, they were probably not aware they had crossed into anyplace new. They were most likely following game.

That's where my own opinion differs wildly from the accepted theory of how the Americas was settled. If early man migrated out of Africa initially 300,000 years ago, spreading along both East and West of the Mediterranean, eventually settling Europe, Asia and Oceania, then Australia, the time it took those settlers to develop stone masonry, city planning and metal smithing seems in conflict with a late-settled continent that had but 14,000 years to develop parallel cultural mileposts. I believe South America was probably settled from the sea, much earlier than coastal southward migration patterns could estimate. Quite possibly, after civilization had been established to the East.

There is also one other nagging possibility that I wonder about. Is it possible that the "New World's indigenous people developed simultaneously with early man in Africa? Equal but different? The New World also has a diverse number of anthropoid monkey species, not found in other tropical places. It sets up potential answers to many questions, but I believe it is going to take a great deal of time to answer them definitively and to fully exhaust this direction of thinking. It may never be accepted by mainstream science.

Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.