Native American Culture/3 piece set

QUESTION: Hello there.  How can I find someone to help me to identify the marks in the silver on the back of a concho set? I can take  photographs of the marks and send to someone that can help me please.  I was informed - Santo Domingo Pueblo but was not 100% confirmed.  I'd like to learn the maker/artist. Thank you in advance.

Attach your images to a follow-up question. I'll need a clean, in-focus shot of the front work as well as shots of the hallmarks and of the attachment method (straps, etc.) I may be able to identify your piece.

QUESTION: You are wonderful.  Thank you.  If my photos are attached to a follow up question with the images will all be on the internet for all to see or are they private and they only come to you direct?  Or may I send them direct to you?  
Thanks again, very much for the reply. I will get the ckear marks, attachments and fornt side you requre. Regards,

ANSWER: We request that images come to AllExperts, so that others interested can gain knowledge from the answers. Your full name will not be used, so you will be protected even if the images are public.

work and marks
work and marks  
QUESTION: 2 images: the strap attachment method, the initials and sterling mark and the front side work.  Can you recognize the turquoise?  Some turquoise is very clean and some have dark deposits and a few veins look like silver-ish deposits.   Were 3 piece matched sets made very often or are they rare. I have only ever seen one 8 years ago.  Thank you for your help once again.

To begin, the GR hallmark is not one we've seen before -- the piece is of fairly recent construction, post 1975, and the red shell as a centerpiece would tend to make most dealers think of Santo Domingo Pueblo. The Romero family in SDP (Now, referred to as Kewa, as they have returned to using their pre-Spanish name) has a number of good silversmiths, probably the best known is Cipriano, but he doesn't set stones usually. The turquoise is probably from the Morenci mine in Arizona, closed for some time now.

The style of the setting is also reminiscent of some Navajo work of the 1990s, but the families we know that use an R in their hallmarks, the Randolphs, the Roanhorses and the Rosses don't use a G. I also checked the library, but couldn't find any reference to it in several books, including the Barton Wright Hallmarks directory. A slightly unusual aspect of the work is the use of the manufactured, serrated bezel to set the stones. On a belt, which gets more wear, and is also typically sold for a higher price, the use of solid bezel wire is more typical.

There was a woman named Geneva Ramone working for the Billigaana's bench operation in 1985, but she used her full last name. Her tribal affiliation is unknown. Sorry I couldn;t be more specific about the maker. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.