Native American Culture/Cherokee wall hangings used for protection

Question
I was just wanting to know, was or is there anything that was used by the Cherokee or any native tribe used for protection against evil spirits, something like a dream catcher, something that you could hang up. Thank you for you time. I hope you can answer this for me.

Answer
Miranda -- Sorry, but I'm not as informed upon Cherokee traditional religious teaching as I should be. I suggest you direct your question to the Cherokee Nation's cultural offices in Tahlequa, OK, or in Cherokee, NC, although traditional people frequently prefer not to speak about religious subjects with those not raised in the tradition. You also might not want to use the expression "Evil Spirits" which always reminds em at least, of nineteenth century anthropologists with clip boards or open tent revival preachers. Rather, look for a connection to lucky symbols -- symbols of harmony, symbols of plenty, symbols of continuity. Hope this helps.

By the way, Dream Catchers were originally used as aids to memory in spiritual quests, by the Ojibway. The idea of them as a "trap against evil" was established long after the fact. More, they are considered objects of luck and given as gifts.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton