Native American Culture/birds

Question
The individuals I respect (mostly native) have high reverence for feathers, we recognize them as living personifications of birds. I notice different tribes do not feel that.'Sometimes non natives use feathers in the wrong ways which really bothers me.

Answer
Few groups of indigenous people, even within a linguistic group feel the same about anything, entirely. A perfect example is the feeling among many traditional Navajo people, that an owl is a bringer of death or bad luck, while the Zuni people, who may live only a few miles away, see owls as the embodiment of departed tribal and religious leaders and teachers, to be revered, not avoided. Hopi people capture eagles to use their feathers in ceremony, hardly, in my own mind, a show of reverence. Lakota may do the same.

The "right way" is the way that satisfies your connection to the Creator and to the living animal. The "right way" is the way that brings the spirit into your dreams and answers your own needs. No one else can share that way exactly with you. They will need their own "right way". Don't be too annoyed at someone else's beliefs or lack of beliefs, though. They have their own path to walk. Keep your feet on the right road for you, and once in a while, gather and speak to other travelers, share your journey, or give them a hand when they need one.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton