Native American Culture/Oconne tribe question

Question
Wooden plow
Wooden plow  
I recently took a trip down the oconne river just south of milledgeville ga. I have found a lot of artifacts in this area over the years. There was actually a known oconee tribe trail and village in this area. I found what looks to be some sort of wooden plow but was under the impression that natives didn't use any plows just stone hoes. I would appreciate any info you could give me. I will attach a photo.

Answer
It's a really interesting piece, that suggest use as a harrow or row rake. My understanding of pre-Columbian agriculture is that corn or sorghum were planted in hills, not rows, but the use of row planting came after exposure to European agricultural techniques, so that might be helpful in dating the piece. I have 18th century rakes in our tool collection that are made that same way, with closer spaced teeth of course. I recommend that you send information about where you actually found the piece as well as your images to the University of GA Anthropology dept. They would probably be able to tell you whether you have a Native artifact or a remnant of a colonial tool. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton