Native American Culture/Native American Jewelry Hallmarks

Question
Y hallmark
Y hallmark  
QUESTION: I have a piece of jewelry with a hallmark of a script Y inside the outline of a Mitten in Monument Valley and IHMSS underneath.  The piece was purchased new in the mid 1990's.  Do you have any idea who the artist would be?  I've attached a photo of the mark.

ANSWER: Your buckle was made by Francis Yazzie -- this is a late mark, so it was recently made when purchased. Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Doing some searching on the internet, now that I had a name to start with, I found that this may be the hallmark of Foster Yazzie instead of Francis Yazzie.  Can you confirm, please?

Answer
Foster may be a son. Francis was the first to combine the Y and the F. I'm not familiar with Foster, so you may be on to something. Hallmarks have a habit of moving along through family lines, and are often shared. Hope this helps. I also see that there is a buckle attributed to Foster Yazzie on Google images and it carries the mitten mark, too.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton