Native American Culture/Austin Garcia earrings

Thank you for your recent response to another piece of jewelry.  

One more question please:
I have these earrings clearly marked by Austin Garcia.  I purchased them from a shop in West Yellowstone, MT in 1989.  They were originally clips and were returned to the artist to make a pierced back.  At that time I believe I was told Austin Garcia was from the Albuquerque area.
I have done internet searching to find info on the artist with no luck.

These are some of the most beautiful works of art I have ever seen in Southwest jewelry.

Do you have info on the artist that you can share with me?

The Garcias we have purchased from are either from Santo Domingo Puebloo (Kewa) or are Navajo from Western NM. This piece looks exactly like work that was Navajo made in the Gallup, NM area dating to the late 1980s to late 1990s or more recent. The inlay and silver work on the setting both would to my eye mean Navajo make, but I'm not familiar with an Austin Garcia. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.