Native American Culture/Identifying another pair of earrings

Silver earrings
Silver earrings  
Can you tell me what you know about these earrings. Again, I have had them for some time and I'm not sure of when or how I got them. I think the stone in the shield look part of the earring is turquoise and that they are silver.

These are a very popular form of tooled earring. They were seen first in the early 1950s and continue on today. Since they are usually unsigned due to space considerations and becasue the metal used is usually a thin gauge to keep costs down, it's hard to determine if they are the work of a jewelry manufacturer or of a specific American Indian artist. IN this case, the feathers are stamp tooled, but seem to be pre-struck, purchased findings. If the earrings are American Indian made, they would probably be Navajo or possibly Zuni. We've seen work in similar design from artists of both Nations. The serrated bezels would probably date them to mid 1960s or later. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.