Native American Culture/David Seger acrylic painting

Question
Rug & basket painting
Rug & basket painting  

David Seger signature
David Seger signature  
This is a 16" x 20" acrylic color painting by David Seger.  It is called Rug & Basket.  It was received from a family friend in 1993.  Is there any value to this piece of art?  I tried to research on the internet but was not successful.

Answer
While I am not familiar with David Seger, the painting resembles what is called the Gallup School of Realism. It is often painted by Navajo artists and usually depicts the art objects of Navajo craftsmen and women. The style began back in the 1970s and continues today. It gave traders and gallery dealers a way to incorporate lower-priced fine art into their collections for sale to tourists and crafts buyers. A painting from a recognized artist in this style sold between $100 and $200 in the 1990s. If there is an increased demand for the artist David Seger, collectors may bring the value up. Your best bet is to speak to the Indian Arts and Crafts Association in Albuquerque, NM and ask for a recognized appraiser in that particular style. They may direct you to a NM dealer for a more localized estimate of value. Hope this helps.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton