Native American Culture/Rug with Navajo design

Question
Navajo Design Wool Rug
Navajo Design Wool Rug  
This rug is 9'4" x 5'8" and is of tighly woven wool. The colors are unusal for authentic Navajo weavers. It does not have the single end tassel feature that most contemporary Navajo rugs have. the end tassels are all across both ends in this rug and knotted. (Sorry the photo is not complete). Not sure this is typical of any authenic Navajo rug, but having woven ends all across both ends of a rug certainly is an antigue feature.
We are intriqued with your diverse history and do love your book themes.

Answer
Joyce -- I believe that this weaving is an Indian (East/Asian) Dhurrie, which is a tribal product coming form a very similar technology level except the looms used by the Indian weavers are horizontal, treadle looms. If you could get a daylight shot, close-up, say covering 18" or so in height and width I would be able to tell definitively. The fact that the rug carries a full knotted, fringed border is typical for Dhurrie rugs and not found with Navajo work.

Thank you for mentioning my writing. I'm glad you found it enjoyable. My writing blog is www.sailletales.com.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton