Native American Culture/Mulatto familys in the 1800s Census and connection to Native American groups in the Carolinas

Rosa Lee Hill
Rosa Lee Hill  
Hello I am searching for possible Amerindian ancestry from an ancestor said to have been born on a reservation?
I know apearance is not always reliable when determining ancestry but I was wondering if anyone thought the photo of grandmother show any possible Native ancestry?
Does she look possibly part native ?

I have been using ancestry.comto find records on her parent Annie Smith & Johnnie Hill (of Thomasville Georgia)
I believe I have found her fathers possible parent John L Hill (Hilts)and Lettie(Nettie) Hill (of Thomasville Georgia).
I eventually find a record for a Nettie Cone - age 6 mulatto. The whole family if mulatto mother and father are both mulatto.

Nettie(Lettie) parents are from Virginia in one record and then another records says South Carolina.

Annie Smith(my grandmothers mother) parents are reportedly Lanie Smith and Perrie Smith (of Thomasville Georgia).

My father died when I was young so did not get to know alot about him or his family. He spoke to my mother about one of his grandmothers or great grandmothers being born on a Indian reservation and being extremely poor and only going to about the 3 grade or so. He didn't state which tribe or what exact place she came from he didn't say weather this was a paternal or maternal family member.

I have asked his half brother who claims that their fathers mother was supposedly part Amerindian but I can't find any proof of that.
My fathers half brothers cousin claimed she was Cherokee in which I take with a grain of salt since the Cherokee grandmother tale is quite common in the south.

possible Native American ancestry in the Carolinas area early 1800s with the surename Cone?
I got curious when I found two generations of mulatto families in Thomasville Georgia everyone in the house is listed as mulatto but later census black.

Johnnie Hill - Birth 1889 - location , Thomasville THOMAS County Georgia.
John L Hilts (Hill) & Nettie Cone are his parents- Thomasville Georgia
Nettie Cone (race: Mulatto) born 1867 in Georgia both are her parent are from South Carolina.
Lizzie Cone (race: mulatto) born 1838 in South Carolina.Lizzie is the mother of Nettie - Lettie - Bettie
Ephrim Cone (race: mulatto) born 1835 in South Carolina. He is the father of Nettie.

Ephrim mother is is Tabitha (Tabby)Cone she is in one record born in South Carolina and in another record born in North Carolina in 1810.
Tabby is mulatto and then black .

Does anyone know of any European surnames in the Carolinas ascosiated with American Indian groups
Like the Lumbee, Catawba,Saponi, and Cherokee.

I had a genetic report done called Prometheus and it stated that I had rate gene associated with Native American Myopathy.

Is the cone surname related to any Indian groups in the Carolinas.

I found a person on geneweb with a similar plight , their Cone family are all mulatto from the Carolinas also but they had rumors of Cherokee heritage but the person said they personally thought they were Hawali Saponi instead

Southeastern Geneology is not my real area of knowledge, but from the areas you describe, you are probably speaking of a possible Cherokee ancestry. The Cherokee ran a large trade empire stretching from the Mountains of North Carolina, South into Georgia and all the way West to the edges of the delta region. Other Nations living in those areas were trading partners and in some cases, vassals. The Cherokee were also known for accepting people of other races easily into their communities which got them into trouble as they were known to harbor runaway slaves. These people became Cherokee, integrating fully into the community. From the region's history and your very lovely grandmother's high, prominent cheekbones, you very well might have Cherokee blood. You'll need to contact the Eastern Cherokee Nation in Nigh Point, North Carolina and do what you can to find birth and marriage records as far back as you can go, to determine family names that might be tracked through the Native Enrollment census of the time, beginning in the 1700s. Many were not enrolled, at their own choosing, so you may not find any answers there, but best wishes on your search. I hope this has been of some help.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.