Native American Culture/Pic for my question...oops

Question
Jewelry
Jewelry  
hallmark
hallmark  
QUESTION: Hi again. Silly me..Here are the pics to go with the request I sent you earlier.Iff you need clearer photos,let me know. Thanks. Maggie

ANSWER: Please add overall images of the designs and the back of each item. Very interesting stones. Jasper settings like these were quite popular in the 1950s. I'll be able to tell more about the origins when I see the designs, especially of the cuff.

Halmark
Halmark  
Cuff
Cuff  
QUESTION: Hi Mr. Sutton,
Here are 2 pictures that i hope will help with your evaluation. I can only send 2. I will send 2 more in the other email.

Thank you,
Maggie

ANSWER: Maggie -- I haven't had any luck with the hallmarks. Since they are not struck (stamped marks) but appear to have been cast in place, I figured they would show the cuff as having been made of bench-shop components, but I can't find reference to those particular marks, in our reference library. Personal hallmarking by a specific silversmith was unusual prior to the 1960s, but bench-shop marking was typical. I'm guessing the cuff dates to the end of the 1940s, and is probably Navajo made from New Mexico, but since I don't have an image that shows the stone in the setting, I can;t really estimate value. Send an overall front shot in good lighting in a follow-up.

The other pieces, would probably be worth around $75 for the ring and smaller pendant, each, and $145 or so for the larger pendant.

Cuff stone
Cuff stone  

Hallmark
Hallmark  
QUESTION: Mr. Sutton,I thank you for your answers,although I hope you can clear up the mystery of the stone in the cuff mostly..I have been told it was dinosaur bone, but didn't look like any that I had researched. It looks like moss to me, but since you told me, Jasper, it does resemble some of the stones I have found. So here is the cuff center stone as clear as I could get...I don't know if this belt would help in any way with the hallmark owner. Thanks again for all your help. Your amazing.
Maggie

Answer
Great shots, Maggie! The stone actually is called Dinosaur Bone. We've seen it in a couple of densities and colors over the years. I'm not sure what it actually is, gemologically, but probably some kind of Jasper. The Wyoming/Yellowstone connection is interesting, too becasue of the incredible Paleontological finds there. I would have sold a cuff like that for somewhere in the range of $300 to $400, but the belt, which seems a bit older, from the way the stone is set, would be worth a bit more than that. If it has a reasonable number of conchos, it would run upwards of $600 or so. I will continue to see if I can find that hallmark. It's very distinctive, and I believe from the work, not the mark, that the belt and cuff were made by the same silversmith.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton