Native American Culture/metal stamped plates

Would love to know anything you could possibly tell me Anything about these plates - i have been fascinated by them for years, and then my father-in-law gave them to me. They have hangers attached to the back of each although that seems to have been crudely added on. Would be thrilled to know how to care for them correctly = they've been subjected to the weather for a very long time. ANY insight would be much appreciated as curiousity is killing this cat. :) Karen Neill

They appear to be either old copper or brass, but I am not familiar with the stamping work as being exclusive to any Native tribal arts traditions. I've seen such work come even from Middle Eastern sources. As far as care, to make sure of the metal, on the back, you might want to use a small dab or Tarn-X tarnish remover to see what comes up (be sure to wash it off completely), but I would not disturb the front to preserve the patina of age. Stamps in those patterns were widely made during the 1930s and 1940s, when "Indian" decoration was all the vogue, and many items were manufactured using similar patterns for the tourist trade in the Southwest. Hope this is of some use.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.