Native American Culture/Arrow point?

Question
1
1  

2
2  
Mr. Sutton,

My son and I were walking the creek on our property ~ 100 mi southwest of St. Louis, MO and he found this "pretty neat rock".  We marked the location that he found this piece on an aerial map we had made last year in the event that we actually found something of significance.  I'm interested in learning what time period/age this may be from and what it actually is or was used for.  Not sure if you can see this in the picture but was also wanted to see if you thought it was damaged or not.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your expertise with us.

Answer
It's definitely some kind of hand knapped tool made of flint/chert. I don;t see any damage tot he edges, which is a bit unusual for anything of that age. It could have been made thousands of years ago or more recently, right up to the advent of metal tools with the European trappers that traveled using the river systems. I would check for a mound structure in the area where you found this. I'd also note the depth at which it was found. Too close to the surface, and it may have been something discarded later on. The relative crudeness of the edge work, compared to the most highly refined points of the Mississippian culture would also affect how it was dated. I would bring it to the nearest University Anthropology Department that is engaged in digs for their opinion, but I think it's an unusual find, as I don't think it is a typical projectile long-point, but possibly a knife, awl or saw. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton